by City of Jasper, Alabama
It is quite amazing to watch the progress of the ongoing renovation of Sherer Auditorium. The structure was originally constructed as a municipal auditorium in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration project, a program created by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1935. In 1980, the auditorium was named Sherer Auditorium in memory of Harry Sherer, former Commissioner of Public Works for the City of Jasper. Since closing in 2009 as a cost-saving measure, the revitalization of the auditorium had been an often-discussed topic until approval for the new City Hall in 2021.
In recent weeks, the solid-color facade, which was added on sometime in the 1970s, has been removed to reveal the original stone exterior. Once complete, this historical renovation and redevelopment will give the structure new life as Jasper’s new City Hall (rendering below) where it will continue to be a focal point of downtown Jasper for many, many years to come. Follow along for more updates!